Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Perfect Country-and-Western Song

No, it ain't Ray Wiley Hubbard's Redneck Mothers. It ain't Merle Haggard's Oakie from Muskogee. It ain't even David Allan Coe's You Never Even Called Me By My Name.

It's my song below, the perfect Country-and-Western song:

Day Breakin'

Oh, all night, I been out drankin',
now mah head's as thick as clay,
So I 'spec' mah woman's waitin'
with some high-tone words tuh say,
But I'd need uhn extra drank
tuh help me face that judgement day!
--an' another shot uh whiskey
jus' might warsh mah sins away.

Oh, the mornin' light is growin',
but mah head fades more like dusk,
An' mah wife could blast mah lies
away like wind'll blast a husk,
Yeh, the judgement that's a-waitin'
can be swift an' sure an' brusque
--so, jus' one more shot uh whiskey,
save mah soul from gettin' cussed.

Oh, the crack uh dawn is creakin'
an' mah min' could crack in two
At the thought uh whut that scornful
woman's scorchin' speech can do
--She got words as sharp as arrows,
an' she aims each one so true!
--yet uhn extra shot uh whiskey
save me on this rendevous.

Oh, the sun is fully risen,
an' it burns mah eyes like mace,
Hence mah wife is surely wearin'
now her godforsaken face,
So I'll need a further drank
afore I step into that place!
--an' uhn added shot uh whiskey
jus' may brang mah soul tuh grace.

Yeh, all night, I been out drankin,
thus mah head's as thick as clay,
So I 'spec' mah woman's waitin',
got them high-tone words tuh say,
Sure I need that extra drank
tuh help me on this judgement day!
--now, that partin' shot uh whiskey,
may it warsh mah sins away.

Horace Jeffery Hodges
Copyright 1994

See, I told you that it was the perfect Country-and-Western song.

Not exactly a "Poetry Break," but something got broken.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Dymphna said...

This looks like it could have come from the pen of Dan Jenkins.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Who is Dan Jenkins?

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Bill, they say that one should repeat everything three times in a lecture to ensure that the students get it.

Well, you're a fine teacher. I got it.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Bill . . . uh, I think. What is a "boing" anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home