Thursday, September 29, 2005

Poetry Break: Things that I wonder about...

I have a question that somebody out there might be able to answer. Let me introduce it this way:

Natural Philosophy

On a smooth granite stone
Sat a frog all alone
And queried a by-bustling fly:
"Should a big bull giraffe
Raise its head, snort, and laugh
When the lightning comes crashing nearby?"

Though the fly paused in flight --
A superlative sight! --
It impatiently gave this reply:
"On requests to tempt fate,
I'd prefer less debate --
Ask giraffes why they're dying to fry!"

(Horace Jeffery Hodges, Copyright 1991)


My question: How have giraffes, the tallest creatures on the African savannah, managed to survive electrical storms?

6 Comments:

At 4:36 AM, Blogger Dennis Mangan said...

What a wonderful poem! Perhaps the giraffes have survived because the trees are even taller.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Somebody once told me that giraffes can see the storms approaching and have time enough to run away.

I've suggested that the two small 'horns' on their heads are actually natural-born lightning rods.

That hypothesis has occasioned a few philosophical snorts.

Anyway, I'm glad that you like the . . . uh, 'poem.'

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one, too. But...

On a smooth granite stone
Sat a frog alone.
And when a fly came bustling by
It queried the slow fly.
And over the frog belly's groan
It stopped, replied--we know not why.

:p

--lollabrats
(please delete above)

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Okay, I deleted the one that you mis-posted.

Slow fly, pass by!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Slow fly, pass by!"
--Jeffery Hodges

Slow flies, alas,
From cloaca, pass--
Away by @55...
:(

--lollabrats

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I was thinking more Yeats:

Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home