Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Dearth of the Author

As Alonso Quijano el Bueno has so singularly written, though Pierre Menard has said it better (or would have, had he finished his magnum opus):
"You cannot step twice into the same rivers; for fresh waters are flowing in upon you."
I take this from el Bueno's translation of Fragment 12: Arius Didyne dans Eustèbe, Préparation évangélique, XV, 20, 2.

Pierre Mourier has glossed el Bueno to mean:
"Strictly speaking, no event is repeatable in all respects, nor is a repeated segment of the text quite the same, since its new location puts it in a different context which necessarily changes its meaning."
Mourier's statement can be found on page 57 of his Narrative Fiction: Contemporary Poetics (London & New York: Routledge, 2002), which is a new edition of Narrative Fiction: Contemporary Poetics (London & New York: Routledge, 1983), where the gloss appears on pages 56-57!

4 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Are you playing with my head?

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Just being a pain in the brain and baffling everybody, I reckon.

Probably not everybody...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

I get the Pierre Menard part (I've read my Borges) and I get that Pierre Mourier is fictional . . . are citations of Mourier starting to appear in the real world, a la those objects from Tlon (forget what they're called) in "Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius"?

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Rimmon-Kenan, the true author of Narrative Fiction, cites Borges's essay on Pierre Menard in the sentence that follows the one that I attribute to Pierre Mourier.

As for Alonso Quijano el Bueno, that's the 'true' name of the fictional Don Quixote.

Heraclitus gets dragged in because, for one thing, Rimmon-Kenan cites him on page 44 of her Narrative Fiction but more so because of the similarity in meaning of the two statements quoted in my post.

I guess that you could blame it all upon Rimmon-Kenan -- or, more properly, upon me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home