Friday, January 06, 2006

Devil in the Details

Alert readers will note some problems in this blog's sidebar since yesterday.

First, my sidebar migrated to the bottom of my blog, below my blog entries but still in the sidebar space. With helpful instructions from Baron Bodissey, of Gates of Vienna, I fixed that problem -- though the process was a tedious one of tinkering with strings of code.

Then, my sidebar had the wild hare of jumping down again, this second time also below my blog entries, but directly under them. That fixed itself by republishing the page. Whew!

This morning, I discovered my sidebar manifesting errors that had arisen while it was leaping about like the famous ten lords, and these took more tedious tinkering time to correct.

More tedious tinkerwork awaits -- if I can just find out how to restore the "About Me" box of my sidebar to its original glory.

If the devil is really in the details, then the past 24 hours have been truly diabolical!

Speak of the devil -- he's making a historic appearance this winter 2006 in a course by Philip A. Harland:
A History of Satan: Evil Personified in Early Judaism and in Christianity
Harland also has a blog and has already started posting entries on this course and its main subject. In one of the entries, I posted a comment with links that will be useful to anyone else interested in the big guy downstairs:

Horace Jeffery Hodges Says:
January 5th, 2006 at 3:14 pm

The links were to Forsyth's books.

The first link is to Amazon's page for The Old Enemy, which has "Search in this Book" enabled, allowing one to read any portion of the book (based on a search-engine that looks for words or phrases):

The Old Enemy

Used cleverly, the search engine allows you to read as many consecutive pages as you wish — just keep plugging in the final words of the last page allowed from your most-recent search, and several more pages pop up.

The second link is to Amazon's page for The Satanic Epic, which has nothing enabled:

The Satanic Epic

The third link is to Princeton University Press's online copy of the first chapter of The Satanic Epic:

The Satanic Epic, Chapter One

I hope that these are helpful.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Horace Jeffery Hodges Says:
January 5th, 2006 at 3:17 pm

P.S. I was wrong about Amazon's page for The Satanic Epic. It does have "Search in the Book" enabled.
This topic should tempt anyone desiring to know more about "the deep things of Satan" (cf. Revelation 2:24) despite the inherent dangers with which we are all familiar ever since the evil apple.

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate."

5 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger James Brush said...

I've heard it said that once a sidebar has tasted freedom, it never really is yours again. Sort of like cats. Black cats, actually, such as might be seen in the company of witches.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

James, you may be right, for my sidebar acted up once before in this way, and The Baron helped me that time, too, appearing like a knight on a white horse to offer advice that solved my problem.

The evil 'witchy' forces of the universe, however, continue to conspire at stealing away my catty sidebar...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Phil, thanks for visiting. I'm proud to link to your excellent blog and related webpages.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

My favorite class ever was affectionally known by us students as "Hell Lit." Though it explored literary representations of afterlife in general and only tangentially intersected with the devil himself, your post brought back fond memories.

P.S. The sidebar looks good to me. You must have sliced all the Gordian knots.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jessica, some problems remain though they might not be so obvious. In my opinion, Pandaemonium has risen to this great height.

Hell literally.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home