Thursday, April 06, 2006

Not another poetry break!?

My grandmother had one of these antique Singer sewing machines,
but my poem ain't about this sort of sewing.

All this attention to webweavers has reminded me of a 1993 poem of mine that is possibly already posted on this blog ... but I haven't yet found it.
So...

I s'pose you know
It's best to sow
Than be a lazy so and so!

Though even the lazy sow and sow
If forced to, though.
I s'pose that's so.

When I say "sow,"
I don't mean "sew"!
If I meant so,
I'd tell you "sew"!

It's just, you know,
We'd better sow
To be in dough—don't you think so?

Although, of those who sew and sew,
I s'pose also
It's also so.
I still suspect that I've already posted this on my blog, but maybe I'm just thinking of a variant, corrupted by my faulty memory, that I showed to my cyberbuddy Bill Vallicella of Maverick Philosopher fame back when he was still using Blogspot before making a smarter move to his current Powerblog site.

Bill's an excellent philosopher, by the way, and his book, A Paradigm Theory of Existence: Onto-Theology Vindicated, is required reading for anyone interested in the philosophical issue of "existence" -- and I don't mean existentialism.

5 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this poem, but could explain this part:
"Although, of those who sew and sew,
I s'pose also
It's also so."

What is also so?

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I just figured it out, lol. Does it mean to be in the dough, sewers would also sew and sew?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Cynthia, I had to check again myself, but your reading sounds right. Those who sew and sew would also be like those who sow and sow.

Thanks for visiting.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! And you are welcome. I read your blog all the time, just don't normally comment. By the way, I LOVE your childhood stories.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Cynthia, for being a faithful reader and for commenting this time.

I enjoyed writing the childhood stories, and more will come sometime. I just don't know when. I go through phases and write on what interests me at the moment.

There's always something...

These days, I've got a backlog of reading on stuff having to do with the clash of civlizations, and if I read through that stuff, I'll likely be posting on future issues rather than past ones.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home