Friday, November 10, 2006

Poetry Break: "Courage"

Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence
(Image from Wikipedia)

No, not "Courage, the Cowardly Dog"! My own courage. Or lack thereof.

Actually, the poem below is not about the virtue of bravery, but about habits of the heart. Why, then, the word "courage"? Think etymologically.
Courage

Ribbed in by bone
curved 'round like bars,
tense-tightened,
whitened sepulchers,
the captive
wild thing paces far
in its strange cage
of caught desire.
I wrote this brief poem of encouragement in Germany around 1991, a year or so before I met Sun-Ae, with whom I found all the encouragement that I needed.

4 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

Reading this, I am thinking, is it courage needed for expression.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

To express the heart, you mean? That's probably part of it.

Perhaps some courage as well just to post the poem since it's not one of my better efforts.

But I sort of like it anyway.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me a bit of a Bruce Cockburn song. "Pacing the Cage", I think is the name.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd never heard of that song, but the title does echo some of my words.

Thanks for visiting.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home