Thursday, November 09, 2006

This Gypsy may be soon again a-roving...

(Image Borrowed without Persimmon from Gypsy Scholar)

As romantic love, or eros, ultimately finds its proper home in marital bliss, so intellectual love, philos, eventually finds its own in the university.

I keep searching, hoping to find my proper intellectual home, quell my restless gypsy ways, and join Lord Byron, perhaps in sighing, but certainly in saying:
So, we'll go no more a roving
So late into the night,
Though the heart be still as loving,
And the moon be still as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath,
And the soul wears out the breast,
And the heart must pause to breathe,
And love itself have rest.

Though the night was made for loving,
And the day returns too soon,
Yet we'll go no more a roving
By the light of the moon.
Yet, as the end of the autumn semester begins to draw nigh, and thus the end of my contract, so I again must play the gyspy role and ply my gypsy trade, roving elsewhere in my search for an intellectual home.

I haven't made a review of my qualifications less than arduous for departments to undertake. My degree is in history, my doctoral thesis on the fourth gospel and gnosticism, and my teaching and scholarship have been all over the place.

All over the place? What sorts of place? Thanks for asking. I've taught history, philosophy, religious studies, grammar, composition, creative writing, literature, and even Coptic, among other things.

I've done scholarly work in these areas, too.

And, yes, I know how dilettantish this all sounds, but it's not like that ... though I don't expect to convince anybody who doesn't already know me.

Still ... if anyone out there knows of a welcoming intellectual home, remember that a gypsy-scholar stray will soon again be out on the anamnestic streets, "in wandering mazes lost" (PL 2.561), seeking the dimly remembered paradise...

9 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course I do not know you, but from what I've gathered from your posts to Milton-L, you seem like a possibly perfect person for innovative places like Deep Springs College. See their website at http://www.deepsprings.edu/

I'd look around for other places like that wonderful college.

Just one idea. Best wishes!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Great post.
Come to Notre Dame! Theres depts that might interest you in pretty much all the fields you mentioned.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Conservative in Virginia said...

George Mason University in God's country, the Commonwealth of Virginia.

We've got a large Korean and Korean American community here so your family can still eat authentic kimchee.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Hathor said...

I hope you stay in Asia. I enjoyed reading your observations about North Korea.

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's safe to come home, the Dems are in charge now.

Tim

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Tim, thanks for the welcome back ... but do the Dems have an academic job waiting for me?

Only then will it be safe to come home.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffery, I do wish you all the best in finding your academic home. I think Korea U is quite foolish to let you go; there's not another scholarly individual like you in this country. I have often wished I could have a job like your present one, but if all goes well I shall no longer be in Korea myself in a few months. Whoever comes after you will have big shoes to fill.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nathan, thanks. I do have big feet -- size 13!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I should thank everybody for their advice ... so, thank you, everybody.

I'm still looking.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home