Monday, January 08, 2007

"He scan my incorporable"

"Alexius Meinong"
Rigid designator of a real but no longer existent object...
(Image from Wikipedia)

Last night my bulk mail folder received -- from a certain (or rather uncertain) Ericka Ortega -- an email with this mysterious subject heading:

"He scan my incorporable"

I don't know what this means, if it is true, or how one would demonstrate its truth, and I suspect that opening the email would lead to disappointment or worse.

I strongly doubt that this particular Erika Ortega exists, but her nonexistence would certainly entail her incorporability -- assuming that the "in-" is privative, not causative, though even the latter would entail that she not yet exist. But either way, could one scan her "incorporable"?

How?

Could one perhaps use Paul Kripke's rigid designator to denote Erika's Meinongian reality as a nonexistent object despite Kripke's view that a rigid designator refers only to an object in every possible world in which that object exists? Could one thereby -- contra Kripke (try saying that fast) -- 'scan' in some metaphysical fashion the 'incorporable' of a Meinongian Erika Ortega who lacks the property of existence?

The possibility is somehow alluring ... but I'm still not gonna open that email.

3 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

"he got joo-joo eyeball..."

Somehow I am reminded of the Beatles song, "Come Together."

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

I don't know what happened to my link, here it is.
http://www.oldielyrics.com/
lyrics/the_beatles/come_together.html

Your page is taking forever to load, because of wikipedia. Ever consider reducing no. of post.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Hathor. I had previously meant to change the number of posts but hadn't gotten around to doing it.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home