Monday, April 23, 2007

100,000 Hits as of Today

Visitor Number 100,000 to my Domain
(Image from Wikipedia)

According to Site Meter, at precisely 2:54:57 p.m. on April 22, 2007, someone in the middle of the United States visited Gypsy Scholar and glanced at an entry from Saturday, December 31, 2005 for an infinitesimally split second before exiting zero seconds later.

That too brief, disinclined visitor was number 100,000 in the sequence of hits on my blog.

Oddly, the language of the visitor was British English. I don't know how Site Meter knows this sort of thing, but it's an intriguing detail, if true. Actually, this limey wouldn't really be my 100,000th visitor, for I haven't had Site Meter from the beginning of my blog. I should also note -- for those perplexed about the discrepancy between the date of the visitor and the date of this blog entry -- that Seoul Time for the limey's visit was 3:54:57 a.m., April 23, 2007. Allowing for Daylight Savings, that would make for a ten-time-zone difference. Coincidentally, I was the very next -- at precisely 3:56:58 a.m. -- to visit my blog, which is why I happen to know the Seoul Time for visitor number 100,000. Otherwise, I would have been just guessing.

Incidentally, the image above -- of Constantine I 'donating' dominion over Rome and the entire Western Roman Empire to Pope Sylvester I -- is from a 13th-century fresco in the Santi Quattro Coronati and may have been the image originally posted for my blog entry of December 31, 2005 (which number 100,000 visited), but it is now missing on that entry, for websites shift, hot links break, and images fade away from entries posted by a technoramus like me.

This, too, shall pass...

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

Congratulations!

I was almost your 100,000 visitor.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks. I wish that it had been you or someone else whom I know so that we could really celebrate.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I do have to say, providing that was the correct GMT hathor and I came pretty close. But like most taxi meters, with a blog ya just never know.

Congratulations !

I've been here for the fifth time well, I guess fourth time, that was yesterday wasn't it? Now where did I put the paper I distinctly remember I wrote it on?

JK

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, JK.

I'm not too sure about the exact time and time zone. I can only go on what Site Meter told me and my guestimate based on that.

Actually, the true 100,000th visitor would have been a few months back anyway, for I didn't use the site meter until I'd been blogging for a few months.

Find that paper, JK -- it might contain all sorts of esoteric, cosmic secrets...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Congratulations, HJH!

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, KM.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jeffery!

I hope those hits don't start bringing in trolls. :)

"I don't know how Site Meter knows this sort of thing,"

The site meter is recording the language of the operating system of the visitor's computer.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks Sonagi. I'm repeatedly impressed by your knowledge, which -- I now see -- extends even to computers!

So, visitor number 100,000 has a computer that uses a British English operating system. I guess that means that this individual happens to be using British software but could be any nationality.

As for trolls ... well, I've built a playing field here, and "if you build it, they will come," but if they come, I will delete them -- after a warning.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Jeffery!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Nathan, but I know that the number is meaningless -- and not only because inaccurate but more because it reflects the work of search engines that pick up my blog, which is then quickly rejected by the searcher (as with number 100,000).

I hope that all is well with you.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home