Monday, November 17, 2008

Uncle Cran injured in cattle stampede

A Young Uncle Cran in the Navy

I do have a few, more recent photos of Uncle Cran, though none on my computer, but I thought that I at least ought to include some photo of Uncle Cran -- even if only this previously posted one -- along with the news of his injury, which he sustained while working cattle on his Ozark farm:
Just got the word from Aunt Pauline that Cran broke a hip (well, he was ran over by cattle and they broke his hip). Pauline's email advised he had surgery today to replace the ball joint, which sounds painful and will undoubtedly put him out of commission for a few weeks.

Pauline, when you and Woodrow see Cran tomorrow be sure and tell him that he is in our prayers. I called the folks to tell them about the accident.
This is the message sent from Cousin Bill Hodges in his newsletter "Weekly Ramblings." I'm certain that every fan of the 'Ozark Tales' that Uncle Cran has lent me to post on this blog will want to offer condolences, get wells, prayers, or the like in comments that he will, eventually, hobble around to reading.

Just post your messages in the comments, and I'll make sure that he sees them.

UPDATE: Aunt Pauline has supplied details from Uncle Cran himself:
Hello all. Linda Gaye[, Cran's wife,] wanted me to update you all. We just got home from the Hospital from seeing Cran. They say he is doing all right but he said he had a rough night and was running a one hundred and two temp when we left and we got home about five thirty.

He told of his experience. This stubborn steer was not responding, and Cran got off the wheeler to get a rock to throw, the steer charged, and as he hit[,] Cran . . . grabbed his head and wrestled it sideways, and I understand he pushed the wheeler to ward him off and he ran or something like that. He got back on [the] wheeler and guess his hip came apart. Linda Gaye got home about fifteen minutes later and went to pieces like I probably would have, but he scolded and calmed her and she got him to the car and hospital. Well that's it for tonight.

I took him some books to read when he is not hurting and Kevin's inlaws brought him some, so he will have some reading, but he was wore out and dozing off, so hope he rests better tonight.
Kevin is one of Uncle Cran's three sons, the other two being Mark and James, who are likely all informed and concerned for their father.

I'm not entirely clear on the sequence of events, but I'm guessing that the injury occurred when Uncle Cran was tussling with the steer but remained unnoticed until after he had climbed back onto the wheeler, when the adrenalin's effects began to wear off.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger Bill said...

We'll have to wait to see the spin on this.
In a couple of days, after the pain killers take effect, and the brain starts whirling again, I'll bet the story of all stories is concocted.
Get well Uncle, and we'll await the rest of the story.
Bill

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You mean Uncle Cran's spin? Yes, I've already been wondering about his own, up-close-and-personal perspective. It should be a tale to end all tales.

But let's first be thankful for how fortunate he is to be alive -- a hoof could easily have landed on a more vital spot.

Get well soon, Uncle Cran.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

Oh no, glad I checked in on the blog. We'll call tomorrow and get more details. Thanks for the update.
Jeanie

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Jeanie. Uncle Cran and his family will appreciate that.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Wow. You never know what events are just ahead!

Get well soon, Cran!

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

So true, Daddio. I'll pass along your well wishes.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Cran's spin? All I can say about that is -- High Quality. Get well soon, Uncle Cran.

Michael

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Michael, Uncle Cran will appreciate your thoughts.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got home from the hospital.
I had a ball joint replaced with a titanium (um....(?)..don't know how to spell it) and this high powered pain pill jumbles up your thinking. My normally concise, brilliant mind isn't doing it's job.
The doctor said it's the latest one on the market and should outlast me.
I learned a valuable lesson....don't argue with an angry steer....who probably isn't too happy about becoming a steer anyway.
In a few days I should be back to as normal (?) as ever. (Go ahead, Jeffery.....make your dig!)
Thanks for the kind words.
Cran

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, good to have you back and in one piece even if some parts are altered -- well, at least, you're a little bit younger now.

I'm sure that others will weigh in with their well-wishes when they've had time to check this blog.

Get even better, Uncle Cran.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Welcome home Uncle Cran.
I'd have the in'laws and neighbors make some hamburger and steak out of that steer-and quick! They can't do harm frozen solid.
Get well and be careful around the house for a few weeks.
God bless.
Nephew Bill Hodges

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I dunno, Bill. Might be a case of 'mad cow' disease, which can do harm even if that steer be frozen solid.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Malcolm Pollack said...

I'm bullish about your prospects for a speedy recovery, Uncle Cran.

Take care of yourself and get well soon.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

In these days of market decline, being bullish about anything is barely possible, but we will steer Uncle Cran back to health . . . if he can only bear it.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Best wishes, Uncle Cran! I hope you're on feeling better.

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

KM, good to see you back from your trip to Rome. Uncle Cran will appreciate your wishes for his recovery.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Uncle Cran has three sons Mark the eldest that would be me.

Kevin the second and James is the youngest.

Matthew Hodges is my son, Cranfords grandson.

Mark Hodges

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Mark, thanks for pointing out that error. I actually knew that you were his son, so I don't know quite how I made the mistake. Rather embarrassing of me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home