Friday, February 18, 2011

Poetry Break: "Dead of Night"

Vampyren, 1893-94
Edvard Munch, 1863-1944
(Image from Wikipedia)

Because I've been working hard, or maybe because I'm lazy, I'm offering for today's post another old 'poem' of mine, this one also written late on a Saturday evening in a lonely German cafe from the time, perhaps 1991, before I met my wife, who rescued me from such isolated pastimes:
Dead of Night
Pale trees glittering,
frosted lunar night,
dead fangs of vampires
bared against the light.

Thorax crack-creaking,
crunched to crushing tight,
gripped with a vampire's
death-lust-driven bite.

Slacked veins sucked seeping,
midnight proves its might,
coursed through the vampire's
dead-eye tooth delight.
Well, it's not a remarkable effort, and maybe it doesn't even quite make sense, if such a 'poem' need do so, but constructing the rhyme scheme was fun, as was limiting each line to five syllables, though the actual meter might not work so well.

As you can see, I had a thing about vampires back then, but I'm rather sick of them these days.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Anonymous dhr said...

Poetry about vampires: good! Like the "Scapigliati" (ruffles, madcap) poets back in the 1860's to the 1880's. The first example of counter-culture in Italy.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, I am a very mad poet!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I am going to light a white candle; this is very frightening!

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

White candles do the trick?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home