Thursday, July 21, 2011

2011 Global Forum Civilization and Peace

Last Year's Global Forum Logo 2010

Just yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to be invited by the Academy of Korean Studies to give a presentation this coming October (10th or 11th) at the "2011 Global Forum [on] Civilization and Peace," which will take place in the Grand Ball Room of the Seoul Plaza Hotel. The main theme this year is "Resolution of Conflict in Korea, East Asia and Beyond: Humanistic Approach," and my session is on "Difference and Discrimination." This is a rather broad subject, but I'll have to narrow down a plausible topic within the next few days and provide an abstract as soon as possible. Based on what I read in the invitation, I'll definitely have to rise to the occasion:
We started our forum . . . [in the] year 2005, inviting world leading scholars to exchange ideas in a view to build peace & civilizations. So far former Korean president Kim Daejung, Prof. Amartya Sen, Dr. Shirin Ebadi and so forth [have] joined our forum as . . . speakers. For more details, please visit our website [Korean or English].
Being associated with such illustrious speakers is a humbling experience, though I'm sure that their role was as plenary speakers rather than as speakers in sessions, but even so I'll certainly have to do my very best -- or better than my best if I want to measure up.

I might try to rework some ideas of mine on the need for a "culture of discussion" since I have some expertise in this area and believe that it is, in fact, sorely needed in East Asia and beyond.

I just need to relate it substantively to the subject of "Difference and Discrimination" . . .

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Sonagi

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Sonagi. I am still astonished at their assumption that I've anything to say worth listening to.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I might try to rework some ideas of mine on the need for a "culture of discussion" since I have some expertise in this area..."

Well, when you're reworking some ideas keep my advice in mind re: dry subjects. Don't want Arkansas' representative feeling he's not been thorougly enjoyed. Beer always makes a reception seem enthusiastic.

Might want to tie your shoelaces together though - podiumtop dancing doesn't present too well on YouTube.

JK

(odd, my letters are 'uptick')

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I suspect that there'll be refreshments, this being Korea . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Though that "difference and discrimination" thing sounds a bit aloof -- to me at least -- in relation to "civilization and peace."

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kuiwon, I reckon that's where my 'creativity' is expected to apply itself in bridging the gap.

Maybe I should write a poem . . .

(By the way, if you're in Seoul, feel free to drop by the Craftworks tomorrow around 4:30 and after for drinks with some of the MH folks.)

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm currently not in Korea. I reside in the US. I do however visit Korea about once a year, though am not sure whether I'll visit this year.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Obviously, you must alter your plans and visit Korea this afternoon!

Or don't you know that when your senior 'invites' you to drinks, you cannot say "No"?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seniors are also supposed to be the wiser ones!

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Young man, trust me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home