Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cousin Bill visits his parents . . .

October 4, 2006

Cousin Bill sent out his "Weekly Ramblings" newsletter, relating a visit with his aged, Ozark-born parents and recounting the following conversation:
I visited with Dad and Mom Saturday afternoon. Both are fine . . . both very talkative. Noticing . . . [Dad's] palm . . . I inquired if the cracked, chapped area was healing.

Dad responded with: "If . . . I could get out . . . , I'd find a rain-filled hollowed stump and soak my hand . . . . That'd cure it . . . . That's what the old-timers said anyway."

I asked if that'd cure butt rash . . .

Grinning, Dad advised, "If you could find a big enough stump."

So there you have it . . . .

Mom changed the subject to [her birthday this coming] March 31 . . . "I'll be 99 in March, no, make that 90 . . ."

Which lead into Dad's [remark:] "I didn't ever figure I'd be around to 89 . . ."

Mom's turn again, "Bill, you know, we've been married 68 years . . ."

Dad's response: "Yeah, I know, so let's change the subject."

I found this dialogue vastly amusing, particularly my uncle's quips. I hope that I'm as alert when I get old. I don't think I'll make it to 89, however, given my dissolute academic life of hard living as a Gypsy Scholar, but I'm already 54, and if I'd known I'd live this long, I'd've taken better care of myself!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Live long and prosper.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sounds good to me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too Funny! As my soon to be 80 years young Mom so succinctly told me last weekend, "you will be double nickles..55..before too long". Seems like such a short time ago we were running around trying to find someone to buy us a bottle of Boone's Farm....Sigh...

Jay

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd take the youth again, but not the Boone's Farm foolishness!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home