Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pastor John Recalls REA Football . . .

Bro. John in Training

Above, we see my brother, Bro. John, in his younger days training for REA Football! Or maybe not . . . but there was REA Football in Salem, Arkansas, as John explains in describing Salem football before the school program started (the year after my graduation, in 1975):
"Before that, we always played football at the electric company, either on evenings or on Saturdays. It was the Rural Electric Association back then, and there was a grass field where the parking lot is now. We played from light pole to light pole. It was tackle football and there was not a pad on us. There were a lot of broken noses. We had guys with a lot of heart and not much sense." (Kyle Mooty, "Greyhounds' program has traveled from REA to perfection," Area Wide News, November 14, 2012)
I was one of those without much sense, given my flying tackles. I must have banged a few brain cells silly! As I told my old classmate Jay Nemec, who forwarded the article with the quote from my brother John:
I remember REA football. So does my body!
It really does: the knees, the shoulders, the ankles, maybe all the corporeal hinges . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger kilo papa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kilo Papa, I've deleted your comment because it was not merely crude, it was was irrelevent.

It was also stupid, as if some web-crawler had latched onto the word "Pastor" just for the pleasure of pulling bloody threads of its own guts from its derriere . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home