Friday, December 28, 2012

Jughead Jones and Mike Doonesbury?

Jughead Jones
July 7, 1969
Google Images

For some obscure reason, I was thinking about Jughead from the Archie Comics the other morning as I lay awake in bed waiting for my clock alarm to sound, and I began to wonder why he was drawn with such a long, thin nose. I didn't figure out why, except that it makes him appear more comical, but I suddenly recalled Doonesbury's similar nose, which was exceptionally long in the early drawings.

Mike Doonesbury
October 26, 1970

Doonesbury's nose is, if anything, even longer and thinner than Jughead's, and I wondered about Trudeau's reason for giving this character a nose like that, but I again could only imagine, at first, that the reason was to make him more comical. As I thought further, however, I wondered if Trudeau was thinking of Jughead when he first drew Doonesbury.

Do any readers know the reasons for these long, thin noses, and also if Trudeau was influenced by the image of Jughead in first drawing Mike Doonesbury?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

of all the things in the world that need attention and serious discussion you focus on the noses of two comic book characters?

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Rightful H.J. Hodges has unearthed a dark conspiracy which must be investigated to find the true meaning of long pointy noses!!

Jay

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Anonymous asked, "of all the things in the world that need attention and serious discussion you focus on the noses of two comic book characters?"

Yes, that's right. Do you know the answer?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jay, you're onto something, and I shall not be deterred from launching a full-scale, Gypsy Scholar investigation using all of this blog's considerable resources of open-source research.

In other words, if any readers know the answer, then let me know.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home