Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fighting Crime!

Security Camera
Imgur

My fellow blogger Malcolm Pollack alerted me via his blog's recent Pic-Of-The-Day post to the above image of a tattered American flag guarded by a security camera, which led to a lengthy discussion among some of the regulars at Malcolm's blog on the question of whether security cameras decrease criminal activity or have no effect. Well, I have some experience with and therefore expertise on this issue, so I offered my two cents:
Whenever I go out minding my own business of filming people also out minding their own business, the people I'm filming can suddenly become aggressive, even to the extreme of trying to assault me and take my camera!

In my experience, then, filming people raises the crime rate . . . though I'm not sure why.
But for whatever reason, universal surveillance therefore means universal criminality! So what happens when the universal panopticon turns the vision of its candid-camera eye upon itself?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Surveillance is itself a criminal activity, insofar as it is unconstitutional.

That is, you have to get a sign off from a judge, I believe.

So... Those who believe unauthorized surveillance is criminal might conclude the government is criminal. Ergo...

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ergo . . . the country is one giant prison, but its jailers are the real criminals.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Eye see what you mean . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home