Sunday, December 22, 2013

Kim Jong-un: Parroting Parody or Floundering Fool?

Kim Jong-un
Parodying his Grandad?
Google Images

There has been a discussion over at the Marmot's Hole about North Korean propaganda as North Korea expert Brian Myers sees it. Myers argues that what serves as public-image propaganda these days by Kim Jong-un -- e.g., openly playing with foreigners at 'his' amusement park, publicly hanging out with a 'strange' Dennis Rodman, unnecessarily humiliating his 'corrupt' uncle on national television, and other such 'feats' -- is surprisingly bad, for it makes Kim Jong-un look not only utterly immature, but also even disrespectful of his elders in the eyes of North Koreans. One commenter disagreed with the position taken by Myers, arguing that the regime in Pyongyang could use any sort of propaganda it wished, and the North Korean people would have to swallow it, even if it were as irrational as bad mathematics, because, "Up north, 2+2 can equal 5 today, 3 tomorrow." I disagreed with that point, so I posted my own comment:
"Up north, 2+2 can equal 5 today, 3 tomorrow."

Only for small values of 5 and large values of 3.

Propaganda can be consistent with people's values or inconsistent with people's values. The former tends to be more effective.

Kim Jong-un has shown himself both publicly frivolous and impulsively brutal in a culture that expects leaders to appear serious and deliberative.

He therefore lacks gravitas, despite his girth, and looks like a parody of Kim Il-sung.

Kim Il-sung
The Original?
Google Images

My interlocutor, a reasonable fellow going by the eminently sensible moniker "George Smiley," accepted that my argument "makes sense," thereby giving me the confidence to post my views here, where truth alone is admitted through the gate and presented for posting! Falsehood must remain outside, languishing in the dust and pleading through bitter tears to be allowed entrance, but the gates are forever shut to such foul error. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent the occasional inaccuracy from sneaking in through the sewers, but their stink eventually betrays them, and they are purged! Not like Uncle Jang Song-thaek was purged, though, for I don't even own a machine gun or a flamethrower . . .

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm Jeff, I find something a bit odd - not your post mind, rather your interlocutor's handle.

Are you familiar with the blog originating out of Springfield (our neighborhood) formerspook dot BlogSpot dot com?

My bookmark actually states "In From the Cold" - without the quotes.

If you can manage to get on that site, scroll down past the archives and take note of the contributors. I think you'll see what I'm referring to. Just don't go asking me anything Maxwell Smartish.

JK

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Could be the same fellow -- same handle, same interests.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll not of course Jeff, be thinking it odd ol' JK suggested t'other day "Maybe Auntie simply wanted a divorce?"

JK

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

From JK, anything is possible, so nothing is odd!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello dear,
My name is Miss Maris Gaasu As I search for a nice friend and came across your contact, My mind and my heart told me to contact you for friendship, A friend who truly have fear love and also understand his or her friend and share their feelings together. please kindly accept my request, I believe that distance or age can never be a barrier but let love connect us because love is a bridge that connected far distance to be close to each other, I will send my dilates and photo to you immediately I receive your reply at my private email address please for more information of my self i will like you to reply me through my private Email Address (marisgaasu1988@hotmail.com) please i wait to hear from you thanks and remain bless
Your friend

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Dear Miss Maris Gaasu, thanks, but I don't need any 'dilates.'

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Miss Maris Gaasu I've been searching for such a pharma as yourself my entire half-life. I've even gone so far as to suggest that, looking deep into the very eyes of the recognized half-wit GQ (or was it the Onion) at the time only revealed "Nobody Is Home" was "The Most" possibly translateable at all

Anyway, I'm Dennis Rodman's best friendest on Facebook though, as you Miss Maris Gaasu most likely suppose, I'd be willing - heck either - provided you've graduated "Charm School" Summa Coom Loudliemost from, oh I dunno, maybe Bosnia.

Apply if you would then, as time permits, espouse the most acceptable methiods as you'd have it to the school I'm preferring.

Here is the Academy:



Your grades diligent studious Miss Maris Gaasu, would be the sole standard.

JK

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://inserbia.info/news/2013/09/russia-school-for-mastering-the-art-of-oral-sex/

JK

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Forgive me, JK, for not hot-linking that site.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. You did post her address. I'll untoward that.

JK

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Actually, she posted, and I let her siren call stay up for my retort, but I didn't hot-link her address either.

Personally, I don't think she exists . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home