Friday, April 11, 2014

Idle Request . . .

Donald Duck
Wikipedia

Does anybody of a certain age recall this childhood ditty -- sung to the tune of "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" (or for you Brits, "God Save the Queen") -- popular among kids in the early sixties:
I hate my country,
I'll go to Germany
To see the king.

His name is Donald Duck,
He drives a garbage truck
To every city dump,

And how it stinks!
I recall singing this when I was about five, but I had -- and still have -- no plausible idea what it's about.

Anyone out there know its origin and meaning?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not know where the ditty came from. I do not think I had ever heard of it until this post. There was a Donald Duck "short" called Der Fuehrer's Face parodying Germany and Hitler that had a song associated with it, but the lyrics and tune do not match what you wrote.

Jay

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I heard it during my fall semester in Kindergarten in Kansas City, one of my off-and-on associations with that city as I yo-yoed between there and Salem my first five years . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home