Friday, July 04, 2014

Happy with Utilitarianism? Most Folks Aren't!

Bill Vallicella
Probably on the Right
Google Images

Yesterday, as I was looking at Dr. Boli's blog, I saw a joke about "Utilitarianists," to which I added my own joke:
Opinion polls reveal that most people are unhappy with utilitarianism.
The humor hinges upon knowing Jeremy Bentham's "fundamental axiom [of utilitarianism, namely], . . . the greatest happiness of the greatest number . . . is the measure of right and wrong" (A Fragment on Government, London, Preface, 1776, 2nd para.). I was so proud of my joke that I sent notice to my philosophical friend, Bill Vallicella:
Here's a philosophical joke I came up with just this morning:
"Opinion polls reveal that most people are unhappy with utilitarianism."
But some wag must already have coined this piece of witty wisdom . . .
Bill replied:
That's good, Jeff. Variants:
a. Opinion polls reveal that most people are unhappy with eudaimonism.

b. Opinion polls reveal that most people are displeased by hedonism.
Greetings from Arizona . . .
I replied:
Those are good, too.
You see? Philosophy is useful, after all . . .

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home