Wednesday, February 25, 2015

More Photos from Jeonju . . .

I finally received some Jeonju images worthy of a serious blog effort. Let's begin with two photos of where my family and I stayed:



Looks inviting, no? The place wasn't bad, so far as hanok stays are concerned. Just the expected burning-hot floor that you can't stand on, the bed mat for the floor that you can't sleep on, and the Raid spray for that cockroach who'll never return so long as I'm fending him off from getting his dirty little feet wherever on! But let's move on to the next two images:



In Korea's traditional hanok center, we find a traditional Korean Romanesque cathedral. Yes! Yes! We get religion! Well . . . at least Korean Catholicism was brought from China by Koreans themselves, who slipped it in disguised as Confucianism. Meanwhile, from a political perspective, here's the first king of the Joseon Era:


Unfortunately, that king is dead . . . But do you hear that rumbling from the crowd? They're crying out "Long live the king!"


Oh, yes, I'm the great pretender . . .

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

It's almost as though you'd visited a couple different countries. Now, since you went to Jeonju, I'm wondering whether you have any photos of the famed Jeonju bibimbap.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I was in two or three different states of mind on the trip.

As for bibimbap, I don't think we ordered any. My wife asked if I wanted some, but I said "No." Bibimbap is a dish I liked at first but have long since grown tired of.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Wow! You would make a good oriental despot.

Er... I mean you would make a "good-looking" oriental despot.

I mean... er... you look like an oriental despot. Very natural in that role.

Um... er... I mean just your appearance, of course.

Now, here do you represent a "mid-dynasty despot"? Or a barbarian who thundered in out of the hills and only recently captured the throne?

And next December look for some iron shoes for Christmas! (Despots are easy to shop for.)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Please click here for more analysis:

Professor Hodges, Looking Dyspotic

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks. I could use some shoes. Despots leave a large footprint because they have big feet - big shoes being hard to find in the Far East . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home