Sunday, August 02, 2015

A Lifetime Achievement?

Of all the unexpected things to happen, this one has surprised me most: The City of Salem has awarded me a "Recognition of Achievement Award" for my "Lifetime Achievement"!

I'm not sure I actually deserve this award, but I'm happy to play the role. The ceremony was informal, taking place in the home, and my older brother, Pat, stood in for the mayor, as you can see below:


I then confessed that I felt sort of like the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz, brainless but now endowed with some official semblance of "smarts" due to my "Recognition of Achievement Award" - as you see in the photo below:


I added that I hoped this 'lifetime' recognition of my 'eminence' didn't imply some imminent end! But life - as they say - goes on.

I hope so . . .

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I think it is a fine award, and congratulation!

You have me thinking about the Scarecrow. After he received his diploma, he suddenly recited the Pythagorean theorem like it was second nature. The wizard might have been a humbug, but he sure made the Scarecrow recognize his own abilities, and made him feel good to boot. Come to think of it, wasn't it the Scarecrow who came up with the cunning plan for sneaking into the castle of the wicked witch?

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, you're right about the Scarecrow.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be wary, Jeff; seems like they're always trying to give Kirk Douglas one of these, and he keeps telling them, "Not yet! Not yet!" --Pete

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I was given no alternative . . .

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well deserved Jeff! I also like those fancy Hodges "crested" t-shirts.

Jay

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Previously, I knew only of Crest toothpaste . . .

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home