Friday, September 18, 2015

Stephen Greenblatt on Teaching Shakespeare Today

Stephen Greenblatt
Wikipedia

Stephen Greenblatt, in "Teaching a Different Shakespeare From the One I Love" (New York Times, September 11, 2015), tells us that college students today approach Shakespeare differently than did his generation:
But as I have discovered in my teaching, it is a different Shakespeare from the one with whom I first fell in love. Many of my students may have less verbal acuity than in years past, but they often possess highly developed visual, musical and performative skills. They intuitively grasp, in a way I came to understand only slowly, the pervasiveness of songs in Shakespeare's plays, the strange ways that his scenes flow one into another or the cunning alternation of close-ups and long views. When I ask them to write a 10-page paper analyzing a particular web of metaphors, exploring a complex theme or amassing evidence to support an argument, the results are often wooden; when I ask them to analyze a film clip, perform a scene or make a video, I stand a better chance of receiving something extraordinary. A student with a beautiful voice performed Brahms's Ophelia songs, with a piano accompaniment by another gifted musician. Students with a knack for creative writing have composed monologues in the voice of the villainous Iago, short stories depicting an awkward reunion of Shylock and his daughter, Jessica, or even additional scenes in Shakespearean verse.
Not a bad trade-off, I'd say . . . except that'd be to betray the Shakespeare I also love.

I wonder if that trade-off can be done with Milton . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Charles Montgomery said...

As it happens?
nothing can be done with Milton.^^

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, you're right - the poor guy is dead and gone . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home