Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Another Student's Gratitude . . .

Professor Hodges Reads from Novella
English Lounge Literary Event

Some time back toward the onset of this semester, a DIS student came to see me in the English Lounge to give me a gift along with a note of thanks:
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for everything you have done for me over the last semester.

First of all, thank you for being such a wonderful professor in World History class. At the beginning of the semester, I was really worried about writing the research paper and I (and my teammates) struggled while writing it. But we could successfully finish the paper as you kindly gave advice every time I visited you in you office hours and even on the days when you did not have office hours.

Also, thank you so much for taking your time to look at some of the papers that I wrote for College English class. I would not have been able to correct or even notice all the grammar mistakes I had made without your help. (And I would have received a terrible score.)

Finally, thank you for sharing your poems, book, and your personal stories. To be honest, I did not expect to have this close interaction with professors in university.

I am so glad to have taken your class and to be listed as one of your "unforgettable . . . . and intelligent students."

Thank you once again.
The poems this student refers to are a couple that I recited in my class on World History, in which I also mentioned my book The Bottomless Bottle of Beer - and I think I told in class of how I met my wife on a train in Germany . . . so this student must have asked more questions about me and my interests when she came to my office hours in the EEC . . .

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Congratulations! I envy you: it must be nice to teach students who actually visit you during your office hours, who actually take advantage of you as a living resource to be consulted, and not just during class time. I offered and offered and offered to help my students—both at Daegu Catholic and at Dongguk—but no one ever took me up on the offer. Hard to find serious students, I suppose, except among the crème de la crème.

That's not to imply that student motivation is the only factor in play, here: your own excellence as a teacher and mentor shines through! Kudos.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Either that or she had an unwarranted crush on me.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Shannon Hodges said...

Congrats Jeff!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If only gratitude amounted to tenure!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home