Monday, November 21, 2016

Revising 'Voldemort'

Voldemort
"I can't hear you . . ."
Google Images

We've recently learned that we've all been mispronouncing What's-His-Name's name, so to do my part in correcting our error, here's how Harry Potter first learns from Hagrid of What's-His-Name:
[Hagrid] sat down, stared into the fire for a few seconds, and then said, "It begins, I suppose, with - with a person called - but it’s incredible yeh don't know his name, everyone in our world knows -"

"Who?"

"Well - I don' like sayin' the name if I can help it. No one does."

"Why not?"

"Gulpin' gargoyles, Harry, people are still scared. Blimey, this is difficult. See, there was this wizard who went . . . bad. As bad as you could go. Worse. Worse than worse. His name was . . ."

Hagrid gulped, but no words came out.

"Could you write it down?" Harry suggested.

"Nah - can't spell it. All right - Moldy Wart." Hagrid shuddered. "Don' make me say it again . . ."
Yes, that's the official pronunciation. You see how wrongly wrong we've been . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home