Monday, December 05, 2016

And let's not forget Prince Albert roll your owns . . .


I recall that my maternal grandpa rolled his own Prince Alberts for a time when I was young, and someone who knew that called our number and asked me:
"Does your grandfather have Prince Albert in a can?"

"Yes."

"Better let him out ha-ha-ha!"

"Who, me?" I asked, not catching the joke and puzzled at the laughter.

The caller turned serious. "Yeah, you or your grandfather."

"I'd better ask Grandpa. He probably wouldn't want me to empty his tobacco without permission."

Long silence. Then: "Not tobacco. Prince Albert!"

"Prince Albert is tobacco."

"No, I mean the real Prince Albert! The man!"

"Idiot" I said. "You can't put a man into a can that small!"
I hung up the phone and ignored the ringing that immediately followed, and the phone rang and rang and rang and rang and rang and rang . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My crowd couldn't afford Prince Albert or Velvet. We bought Bull Durham to roll our own. Sometimes we used rabbit tobacco, something that grew on something like a weed. We even smoked grape vines. If someone was in the money, he would buy a pack of Camels or Lucky Strike. He would light up, then let us "take a drag."

Cran

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Jeffery, have you ever smoked corn silks?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Poor Uncle Cran!

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carter, I ain't even smoked corn cottons!

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home