Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Iceman Cometh . . .

Ice Cream 'Truck'

Remember those days of yore when the ice cream man came down your street in his truck - actually a van - playing some simple children's tune over a loudspeaker to announce his arrival as five or ten kids came running with pocket change for popsicles?

Something like that happened this morning on our street, minus the music, and the truck was not a  van, but merely a cart. Alas, no child came running, either, and the ice cream man soon continued on his not-so-merry way.

There is (as Malcolm Pollack once observed) a sadness under the surface of life . . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

I do remember those days fondly. And it is kind of sad when the ice cream truck rolls by in my neighborhood today, playing those kids songs. I have yet to see him stop for even one kid! Sigh ...

Sometimes I feel like buying something, even though I wouldn't eat it (Type II diabetes). But I don't because he might feel like I am doing it out of pity (which, of course, I would be). Sigh ...

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I know the feeling.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home