Monday, October 16, 2017

A Little Bit Cuckoo

Little Cuckoo
Sun-Ae Hwang

While I was in the hospital last week, my family back in the Ozarks was trying to find out where I was and what was wrong with me, and I contacted them as soon as I was able:
I am finally well enough to assure all of you that I am still among the living.

I was very sick, and am still recuperating, but I was nowhere near death.

The misunderstanding arose from Sun-Ae's remark that she couldn't wake me up (or that I couldn't wake up, or that they couldn't wake me up, or something along those lines).

She said to me later that I seemed to lack the border between sleeping and being awake - and that I seemed to be in a state of dreaming while awake.

At the same time, I was hyper-alert and very articulate. Sun-Ae couldn't get me to stop talking.

I recall with clarity from the other side what was happening. I felt urgently that I needed to explain myself clearly about everything.

Sun-Ae took the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. "Do you love your wife?" Without hesitation, I said, "Of course!" So, she posed a second question: "Is your wife kind to you?" At that, I hesitated, then said, "Usually."

Anyway, we finally figured out that some medicines were interacting - along with some high fever - to render me delusional.

I'm glad that's past - trying to articulate all of the world's ills is tiring!
And no doubt tiresome to those who have to listen . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

In sickness, veritas!

Well, if "the world's ills" don't amount to more than a wife who is only "usually" kind to you, I guess that's something!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Count your blessings.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

...before they hatch.

(bird humor)

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Like the French "blessure."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home